Monday, July 14, 2008

Apple Crumble

We've gotten a lot of apples in our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) basket during the last two weeks and I needed to find a use for them. These apples are very tart and tangy, so much so that kids don't really enjoy eating them. However, when made into a pie it's a different story altogether.

Since I recently made a blueberry pie, I wanted to make more of an apple crumble. I used a combination of recipes and decided to use my pie plate instead of 9 x13 pan. I used the crumble on the bottom of the pie plate as well as on the top and it turned out pretty well.


Almond Crumble:
1 3/4 cups of flour
1 cup of almonds, finely ground
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces

I put all the ingredients into my food processor and pulsed them a few times to combine. Then I added the butter and pulsed again until the mixture resembled coarse crumbs.

I pressed about half the crumbs into the bottom of my pie plate and then froze it for 15 minutes until it was firm.

I cored, peeled and cut about 10 apples. Then placed everything in a large bowl and mixed in the following ingredients:

2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking spice
1/4 tsp salt

Pour mixture into the pie shell and dot with 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the apples. Bake at 350 until the crust turns golden and juices bubble, about 1 hour. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Steph said...

Mmmmm...sounds great! We're having the same dilemma. We made the apple - onion recipe on the CSA paper from last week. It was interesting. Safe travels!

Anonymous said...

Your recipe sounds delicious. The tartest apples I have encountered were in England, huge, green winter apples--"Bramley Cookers" they called them. We baked them, with lots of raisins, nuts, brown sugar, and butter, and then served them with whole milk yog(o)urt or heavy cream, depending on what was on hand. Perhaps an acquired taste....

MKP

Kelly said...

I want some of this!!! With all these great recipes you need to open a bakery!!!