Monday, March 23, 2009

Sewing for Baby

Need a baby gift idea? Check out these simple patterns for a baby blanket and burp cloths. The baby blanket tutorial came from The Purl Bee blog. I used cotton on one side and flannel on the other. I also made it a little bigger, 42 inches square instead of what they recommend, 32 inches square.

I also found a tutorial for these burp cloths on Sew Mama Sew. The burp cloth pattern that I've used in the past has ribbon sewn on the ends but I thought these were extra pretty with a strip of fabric sewn down the center. And look they complement the blanket!

One note on the burp cloths: I bought the Gerber organic cotton diapers and they were awful to work with. They got caught on the needle and snagged. I would recommend using the regular cotton ones instead.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Such pretty colors! They would make any little one look like a little angel. I wonder if I will get to see these in person soon? :)

I am still working on my "thing".

Steph said...

What great ideas!

Kelly said...

I can personally vouch for Kim's wonderful baby blankets. The one she gave us for Madelyn is our absolute favorite!